Monday, April 14, 2014

On Being Wrong (but happy about it!)

"The heart of man plans his way, but the Lord establishes his steps." 
~Proverbs 16:9


I like winning, and I usually enjoy getting my own way.

Conversely, I can be a sore loser. I have also been known to seek agreement on relevant issues where the outcome is debatable. Some people would use the word 'argumentative,' but I would say that I want to give people the opportunity to see things from my perspective. 

Sometimes I prevail, but this isn't always the case. As I've grown older, the times where I get to 'win' seem to come less often and it's really become more about the challenge & building consensus around a decision that everyone can agree with.

I learned awhile ago that I can be wrong, even when I have the very best intentions. God's plan is so often larger than we can see, and even the most cursory look back reveals His hand moving in the world.

One summer I had a small disagreement with the Camp Director about allowing a really young boy (age 9) to attend our tween week session (ages 12-15). Not only was he too young, but he was also very small for his age. My fears were that the boy would be bullied, hurt, or be unable to keep up with the other boys in his cabin.

After the decision had been made, I continued to press my case. Even when the boys were lining up for role call on the first Sunday night I could not stop worrying about that little boy's camp experience. The other boys in his cabin were easily twice his size, even the one standing right next to him in line had a tattoo and a small mustache. Ironically I had placed them all in the same cabin because that group were (collectively) the youngest boys at camp that week.

To my surprise, I saw that young mustached boy (Chris) virtually adopt the smaller boy as a younger brother.

Chris would carry him around on his shoulders, make sure he didn't trip, and included him in all of the cabin activities. That Friday night (after pageant) I learned that Chris used to have a younger brother, but Chris's brother died at a very young age because of gang violence.

On the day that camp ended that week, I saw Chris's reaction (mostly crying) at the idea of leaving his new found brother and it really changed my perspective. I understood that none of the healing that happened that week in Chris's life would have happened if I have gotten my way before these boys arrived at camp.

God had a bigger plan.

We work hard every day to get camp ready, and sometimes we get caught up with our own plans. I pray every day that our plans mirror what God has in store for us, because being 'right' is great, but being where God wants us to be is even better.

We'll see you at camp!

~Jeremy

No comments:

Post a Comment