Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Staff-in-Training or... "Teenage volunteers at summer camp."


I spent a lot of time volunteering at the Loma Linda University Children's Hospital during the summer when I was 14 & 15 years old.

The main reason was that my parents did not want me to be home all day, but I also knew a lot of adults who worked in media services because I was also a volunteer at Loma Linda University SDA Church as a camera operator.

During those years, I learned a lot from working with adults. At first I was a bit intimated, but the more they taught me (and the more I learned) the more I felt like part of the team.

I was once allowed to film a surgery in the Operating Room (OR) which was transmitted to medical students watching in an annex. I remember the stares when I walked down to the cafeteria in white scrubs, mask around my neck, surgery cap, and booties. Someone asked me if I was a doctor, and I just remember the look of relief they had when I told them I wasn't.

Being a volunteer meant that I wasn't paid for my time, but I really felt like I was on the winning side of the transaction. I learned a valuable skill, worked with professionals, and discovered what it meant to try my best every day.

At PSR Camp, we have several different types of volunteer positions for teenagers (16 & 17), and I hope that they all have the opportunity to capture all of the skills I learned when I was younger. Staff-In-Training (age 17) participants are at camp for about 4.5 weeks during the summer, and Counselor-in-Training (age 16 & 17) participants are at camp for about 2.5 weeks during the summer.

It's not too late to interview for a volunteer position at camp, for more information please email me before May 12th.

We'll see you at camp!

~Jeremy

No comments:

Post a Comment