Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Greetings from Discovery Camp! (Tuesday)


Church Bowl (Tuesday)
TUESDAY

This morning when I awoke, I knew it was going to be a warm day.

I barely made it down for breakfast today, which was crosscut potatoes, eggs, toast, fruit, yogurt, and juice. I spent some of my time with cabin Nez Perce and cabin Shoshone who were already eating when I arrived. One of the campers had three bowls of cereal on his tray and I tried to talk to him down to two bowls, but he was very interested in all three bowls. I left it up to the counselor and checked in with our staff who were on their morning break.

Overall it was a morning for sunscreen, water, and anxious parents who were curious about what happened at camp yesterday. The good news is that at 9:41 am we all got our first dose of sunscreen, and all the campers had a glass of water at breakfast and during the first rotation. We also completed all of our camper monitoring requests and actually managed to call, email, or send smoke signals to everyone who asked for it this week.

Thanks again for your patience. If you're reading this and didn't get an email: please check your junk mail. As much as possible we included photos of your camper in the messages and it may be waiting for you there.

During the Discovery Session I spend every morning with the Indian Campers. Today we actually had a lot of fun, and so far everyone is completing their challenges. We stayed indoors today because of the weather, we're hoping for clouds tomorrow for our mile hike.

Lunch today was pasta, and its a personal favorite. Pasta equals bread sticks, and the bread sticks are always so soft when they've just come out of the oven. We serve regular spaghetti noodles and also tortellini with red sauce or white sauce (some campers and staff choose BOTH sauces). I think it was peas/corn/carrot cocktail for the vegetable and white cake or cookies for dessert (some of the staff have both desserts, not always the best example but we still love our staff).

For rotations I went to skateboarding and field games to play soccer. It was a really close soccer game, and both cabins scored to tie the game in the last 3 minutes. However, the thing that really stood out to me had nothing to do with the soccer game. The wind picked-up at one point and blew the shade umbrella away. We all starred and watched it blow away, except for one boy from Nez Perce, Elijah, who chased the umbrella so fast that both of his shoes flew off.

I was really impressed because he was so fast and so willing to help the staff get the umbrella back. I picked up his shoes (a must at camp) and caught up with him a few moments later. He was barely out of breath, and had a great big smile.

Thanks Elijah.

Dinner was after big event. We had to change the game a bit to make sure no one was injured. It was still fun and I was impressed at how a small change in a planned activity could still bring joy to so many children. My second favorite meal for dinner is grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato soup. Even around 6:00 pm it's just cool enough outside to enjoy a bit of soup, and we also had a full salad bar and some other options for children who don't like cheese.

I'm going to talk about the evening program a bit more tomorrow, so that's it for now. Have a good night everyone, I'll write more on Wednesday.

Blessings,

-Jeremy

P.S. Log into Ultracamp and check out the photos from today!




6 comments:

  1. Wonderful update Jeremy! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank You Jeremy! I Loved the pictures as well. 😄

    ReplyDelete
  3. Missing my little man Merrick so much! Thank you for these updates!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Merrick played soccer on my team yesterday and he scored our first goal. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! I went through the pictures and didn't see him in any, tell him to jump in front of that camera for me ;) so glad you guys do these uodates, such an amazing program

      Delete
  5. Wonderful update Jeremy! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete