Monday, July 4, 2016

Hello from Junior Camp #1! (Monday)












MONDAY

It was a beautifully sunny day at PSR Camp today!

Breakfast was eggs, tater tots, fruit cocktail, melon, toast, & juice/water/milk. I missed breakfast, but I talked to the campers about it during morning worship and they all told me it was fine. After breakfast we raised the flag and ran off to morning worship where Pastor Pablo Ariza from Calimesa talked about different ways we can connect to God. It's really nice to have him up at camp as a pastor, and the children were very quiet and attentive.

I know some of you might think I'm just saying that, but the campers this week are different than most sessions. They listen very well and have great manners for junior campers. I had my first day of camp without a single issue that I needed to attend to regarding camper behavior. It's a real blessing when all of the children are getting along, but I honestly have to admit I was almost bored today!

After lunch we had morning activities, followed by lunch which was corn dogs, chili beans, fries, toppings, salad bar, and we let the campers have a bit of soda if they wanted it. I ate quickly to get ready for our fire drill and it went off without a hitch before afternoon activities. I think a few of the campers thought it was a real emergency, but everyone was calm and we finished in nearly record time.

For afternoon rotations I spent time with the boys from Navajo and Nez Perce at the pool, and then I checked in Arapaho and Apache on the field for soccer. All of the campers were playing, and seemed to be having a good time. It wasn't to hot today, and I'm sure that helped. After the first rotation ended I went to dig a trench and barely made it back for Jedi Dodgeball out on the field at 5:10 pm.

After our big group game we all headed to dinner, which was pizza!

Pizza night is the best night of camp. Last week the campers had pizza on my day off, so I was glad to see those square slices of cheese greet me this evening for dinner. Along with pizza we had a full salad bar, fruit, chips, and water/milk. I know I talk a lot about the food, but it's the one time I get to see all of the campers in the same place. A stopped a couple children who were running in the cafeteria (towards the pizza) but otherwise dinner was uneventful.

Tonight after dinner we had our first night of Outpost. If your campers love or dislike the play this year its my fault. I write the plays every year, and try to create something interesting for children ages 7-17. Its always a challenge, but I'm very proud of the cast this summer. They have a great director and are really doing better every week.

After the play is lights out before 10:00 pm, and nearly all of the campers were worn out after such a long day. I am going to get to bed before midnight tonight, and I really have the parents to thank! So far camp is going really well and we're looking forward to a bright and early morning tomorrow at 6:30 am.

Blessings,

-Jeremy

No comments:

Post a Comment